Tuesday, September 1, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ECC!



I am a big believer in marking milestones, celebrating victories, placing a pin in turning points -- good or bad. Without these signposts, I cannot reflect as effectively on where I have been, nor praise the One who delivered me, redeemed me, rejoiced with me, carried me, empowered me, cried with me and equipped me.

We did not make a fuss about birthdays when I was young. Consequently, I am an avid proponent of them now. As soon as my birthday is over, I am already looking forward to the next. "Mark them!" I say. "Which one was your favorite?" I'll ask. "Tell me about it." It tickles me to hear my husband's response to this question when others inquire. "So, Mike, which birthday was your best?" Without hesitation, he responds with the enthusiasm of a child, "10! Double digits were HUGE!" He is my joy mentor. There continues to be a 10 year old trapped in his 40-something body, ever ready for reason to celebrate.

This morning, I discovered one . . . a reason to celebrate. The Evangelical Church in Capljina, Bosnia just turned 10 years old! I watched online as they began collecting pictures, signposts, of their victories and milestones to mark their journey, an arduous, but fruitful road to redemption and celebration.

On many levels, it is hard to believe a decade has passed. On the one hand, this seems like a young church. On the other, once only a small gathering in our hosts' home then a tiny mustard seed planted on the banks of the Neretva River from which a mighty oak has grown, providing the necessary refuge and shade, comfort and nourishment for the seekers who have come. In that way, the church and her congregation seems greater and wiser, beyond her years. This is a place that has been tested and challenged, ridiculed, defaced, stoned. In stark contrast today, a decade later, this house of worship is accepted by the community. Walls which divided a people socially, ethnically, politically and religiously have crumbled by the power of the people who have congregated inside them and left their burdens at the foot of the cross,giving their lives to Christ. Enemies have found forgiveness and grace. The broken and wounded have found healing. Just 2 years ago, the town square map did not acknowledge the existence of The Evangelical Church yet, now, it's presence is graced by a marker - the Cross. It is a place where one may find a path leading to a Savior to free them from the chains that continue to bind a country, a region, from decades of oppression.


If you ever are in Capljina, look for the markings on the map and the mighty tower of the ECC standing steadfast, resolute and tall despite 10 years of rough road to reach this glorious day of celebration. Until then, join us as we mark it, together, in grateful praise to our merciful, faithful and soveriegn God who receives all the glory for all He has done and will continue to do through this church, its leadership in Pastor Bernard, and his congregation. Praise be to God!


Happy Birthday, ECC! We love you,
The NPCC Teams
"Rejoice with those who rejoice" Romans 12:15a

No comments:

Post a Comment