Thursday, September 17, 2009

DISPOSABLE INCOME


Driving around Atlanta thinking of ways I could support our Bosnian friends, now family, I came to the conclusion it would have to be by other means. We don’t have much “disposable income,” I rationalized. If only God could use me in some other way. If my writing could be used to glorify Him, while at the same time cast a beacon of light on the plight of our brothers and sisters in need of so much, yet with great faith petition for very little. Still, the words, “disposable income” disturbed me. They hung in my head on a noose and caught in my throat, choking me as I spoke them aloud. The face of a Bosnian child begging for throw away coins haunted me. I asked myself, "Who coined such a phrase?" An oxymoron at a minimum, a slap in the face of our current economy if nothing else. It was then I realized, again I had fallen into the snare of our culture. No longer thinking of first fruits, I was considering leftovers. How quickly I fall. Only a few months ago, our pastor gave a sermon series on financial balance. How we tend to spend, repay debt and taxes before saving and charitable giving, when in reality the list would be far more generous and far more tax favorable if we followed this regimen in reverse. I rationalize with some kind of loopy logic that we are “robbing Peter to pay Paul” as it is. Then, something happens to me when I arrive in Bosnia. Things of this world fall away and, all of a sudden, I am rich! Rich in treasures not measured by man, but abundantly blessed with grace and love, hope and friendship, a connection which transcends understanding. A part of my heart is there. "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:21) Suddenly, I have enough.

My thoughts gradually have meandered over a week’s time to the support letters we have prayerfully written and sent asking for both prayer and financial support of our trip. I think many of us on past and present trips bristle at the fund raising aspect of missions. I came to a conclusion this week. I believe it is because of our list. I believe it is because we have fallen into our worldly thinking again, and our lists are turned on end, leftovers instead of first fruits. We’ve failed to give our loved ones an opportunity to weigh in on the health of their own lists. I have to remind myself, my team and our readership, if God has called us on this trip, He will show us - He will show you - how to support it. We will go, you may send, or you may pray. But, it is not a worldly decision. It is an eternal one. No level of support, no type of support, is more or less important.

In fact, earlier this year, I participated in a walk for Breast Cancer in memory of my mother. I sent a fundraising letter to someone special who I knew would never be able to support me financially. She did not have any “disposable income.” Still, I wanted this person to know what I was doing. The fundraising did not go well at first, until finally a response. It was from the person I least expected a reply. The support was not financial; it was a blessing and a praise. In the end, this became my greatest supporter, a gift from God.

On behalf of the October Prayer Team, I want to say to all of our blog readers, prayer warriors, and “senders” offering donations, you have blessed us. Titus walked the land we trek in Bosnia, at that time Dalmatia. And, as Paul said to the Corinthians, speaking of sowing generously, after Titus' trip to Macedonia

"This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of God's people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God." "And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you, because of the surpassing grace God has given you." 2 Cor 9:12,14


In His service,
Kathy

1 comment: